Special occasions like birthdays and holidays are joyous times, but it can be challenging for people with chronic kidney disease (CKD) due to certain special health needs. The reality is that these people require restricted diets, and/or have to go to dialysis sessions 3-4 times per week, holiday or no holiday. Have you ever wondered what an appropriate gift for a kidney patient would be?
Here’s a list of gift ideas that any person living with CKD would appreciate:
- Extra virgin olive oils
- Nut oils – avocado, macadamia, walnut, and almond add a lot of flavor and you only need a drizzle!
- Vinegars – red wine, tarragon, balsamic, apple cider or even strawberry
- Herb plants or a book about herbs
- Salt-free seasoning blends
- Herbal teas
- Measuring spoons and cups
- Food scale
- Aromatherapy kit
- Exercise bands
Or, wrap a few of these things together for a beautiful, kidney-friendly gift basket!
If your loved one is a dialysis patient, the following items may be appreciated:
- Blanket, small pillow, hat, or socks as dialysis centers are quite chilly.
- Earphones or ear buds
- Tote bag
- An electronic reader tablet
- A good paperback
- Assorted hard candies (or sugar-free hard candies)
- Crossword, word find, or sudoku books
- A cool pen set
- Water bottle with demarcations (for patients on fluid restrictions)
- A pocket-sized pill box
- Stress ball
- Pocket calendar to write in doctor appointments
- Insulated food bag
- Face mask
- Hand sanitizer
A gift that has a person’s kidney health in mind is always a thoughtful gesture and, more importantly, appreciated.
This information is meant to be used as a resource and is not meant to replace medical advice. For more information, contact email@example.com.