Our Youth Programs Coordinator has the opportunity to visit schools and talk about kidney health and nutrition. It is important that our children are eating healthy daily and getting enough physical activity. Here are some general tips:
- Consume Whole Grains--look on food labels for things that say whole wheat, brown rice, or whole oats. This is a great way to add vitamins/minerals daily.
- Aim for 1.5-2 cups of fruits daily. They can be frozen, fresh or canned. Try to avoid juices as it doesn't have too much fiber but if you do choose fruit juice, make sure that it is 100% fruit juice. Try adding fruits to yogurt/cereal or even on a homemade pizza.
- Have a variety of vegetables--aim for 1.5 cups daily. Try things like broccoli, spinach, cucumbers, carrots, sweet potatoes. Try adding new vegetables to pasta, casseroles, soups or even eggs.
- Bake, grill and broil your lean meats. Try not to fry your meats. Try chicken (without the skin), fish and avoid high fat meats such as spam or fried chicken.
- Enjoy a beautiful day by walking outside at the park. Don't like walking? Try swimming, playing Frisbee, riding a bike or hiking. The extra activity helps with overall health.